Thursday, July 14, 2016

A Little Bit about Paris



Paris has an allure that I can't really explain.  I never thought in a million years that I could fall in love with a city, but lo and behold, I did just that.  I have the good fortune to be married to a man who fell in love with Paris exactly the same time I did.  People have asked us why we go there so often as though we are unadventurous because we like going back to this one of a kind city.  My response is usually to ask them how many times have they been to Hawaii, or Disneyland, or whatever there favorite vacation spot is and that usually gives them some insight.  We are comfortable there and enjoy the treasures the city has to offer.  What more can I say?

Part of the allure is that the city is old.  Paris is more than 2,000 years old.  The Gauls of the Parisii tribe settled there between 250 and 200 BC and founded a fishng village on an isaldn in the river that is the present day Ile de la Cite -- the center around which Paris developed.  We will visit this center which is where Notre Dame is as well as the Ile St. Louis, the smaller island connected by a bridge to the Ile de la Cite.  

Paris can be crowded, and although it seems mostly with tourists, the actual population of Paris is over 2.24 million people.  When you include the suburbs, the population increases to over 10 milion people.  

The city of Paris is divided into twenty arrondissements.  I usually use the word districts because as much as I've tried, I cannot properly pronounce the word arrondissements.  The first district is in the center, the following districts spiral outwards in a clock-wise fashion.  Most of the famous tourist attractions can be found in one of the eight central arrondissments.  The arrondissements are encircled by the peripherique, a ring highway.  Outside of the peripherique are the banlieues or suburbs of Paris.  

In October, we will be staying in the 7th arrondissment.   I've stayed in the 7th arrondissement on two previous visits to Paris.  I enjoyed the area which is less touristy, unless you are near the Eiffel Tower.  The 7th is all about narrow yet wealthy residential streets, tree line parks, the banks of the Seine, and of course the famous Eiffel Tower.  It has been described as the area where the civil servants live and so I think it is appropriate for this coming October visit when two retired civil servants will journey to Paris. Rue Cler is a famous food street where as you have your lunch you can see real Parisian's walking their dogs and buying their bagguette.  We will definitely have lunch at the Cafe du Marche and dinner one evening at La Tarasse which are both just walking distance from our flat.

The map below is a map of the 20 arrondissements and includes famous landmarks which can be found in each of the districts.   La Defense is outside the central city but is a must see for anyone visiting Paris.  It is modern, sleek, and beautiful and has a style all its own and well worth a quick 20 minute metro ride to take a peek.  











No comments:

Post a Comment